THE COLORS OF LOVE — According to the California Cut Flower Commission, more than 120 million roses, most of them red, will be given for Valentine's Day this year. Red and pink typically express love and deep affection, with the red rose declaring more intensity. But if undying love seems too strong a message, try these options, found on the commission's Web site:
• Pink carnations: I'll never forget you.
• Gardenias: You're lovely.
• Orchids: You're beautiful.
• Red tulips: My perfect lover.
• Ivy: I'll never betray you.
And this, not found on the Web site but nonetheless a valid option:
• Silk flowers: Sorry about your allergies.